Friday 27 April 2012

a Nightstand is Born.

When I decided it was time to redecorate my bedroom the first thing on my list of things to get was a new nightstand. Problem was, I hate spending money. Well, I just hate to spend it on things that aren't totally necessary. Thrifty me (some might call it cheap! haha) just couldn't bear to think about giving away my perfectly good nightstand. Did I mention that a half-decent new one costs at least $100 bucks or more!? Ouch.

That, my friend, is where this DIY project begins...




I knew the brown colour had to go, so spray paint was a must. In addition, to give my rinky-dinky table a little bit more 'oomph', adding some moulding was also a must. Lucky for me, my parents had some moulding leftover that I could use. 

Okay, let's get started! 

Materials Needed: 

  • An ugly table 
  • Spray paint 
  • Moulding 
  • One glass knob 

Step 1: Using a mitre saw, measure and cut the moulding. Please use caution operating a mitre saw, safety first folks! 



Step 2: Paint the moulding and table.


I used Rust-oleum’s Painters' Touch. Follow the instructions on the back of your paint can and remember that 2-3 lighter coats are better than one heavy coat (one heavy coat will be blotchy and uneven). Spray paint is super quick to dry so for those impatient people out there (like myself) just give it 20-30 minutes and you are good to go for your second coat. 



**TIP**: Make sure to use the spray paint in a well-ventilated area. I am telling you this from experience! I think my lungs were black for about 24 hours…lesson learned. 


Step 3: Drill a hole for the hardware of your choice. 

Using a ruler measure where the center is and eyeball how high/low you want to place your knob.

Step 4: Nail Moulding to Table.


I used a brad nailer for this step, but if you don't have one the ol' hammer will do the trick. Make sure to fill in the holes with nail filler - I used the brand Red Devil - One Time. If you don’t have any filler on hand (or don’t want to go buy some), you could get away with not using it. 

Step 5: Give your table one final light coat of spray paint. Let dry. 


Step 6: Screw on your hardware. 



DIY, emilygrace



TA DA! My first DIY project complete! I was super pleased with the result and of course I was thrilled that it didn’t burn a big hole in my wallet. 


Cost breakdown...

  • Baseboard moulding = FREE (my parents had some left over) 
  • Table = FREE (well, I bought it years ago) 
  • Spray paint = $5.00 
  • Glass pull = $9.00 (a high price I know, but I just really liked it!) 

Total Cost = $14.00


Well folks, that's it for my first ever blog post. Feel free to post any questions or comments, I'd love to hear some feedback.


Bye for now,

Emily Grace




2 comments:

  1. This is FABULOUS! Looking forward to seeing more of your creations!
    Now, to find a mitre saw...

    ReplyDelete